Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why I'm an Indie Author

I posted this on another site, and I thought it might be good to share here as well. I've had a lot of people ask why I self-published Breathless, and this helps answer that question. I'd like to add, that I think it was one of the best moves I ever made, and I am really proud and excited with the book's reception. I thank you all for that!

I worked as the managing for an educational publisher for nearly a decade. I wrote nearly a hundred books for that company and edited thousands of others. For a long time, I had forgotten how to write for pure enjoyment, and one day, I started again. I tried to get an agent...I really tried, but it just didn't happen for me. Several agents--many from prominent agencies--gave me great feedback about the book. All told me there wasn't anything they would change. But, ultimately, with the recession happening and so many uncertainties about whether the vampire trend was nearing its end, none wanted to commit.

So, to be perfectly honest, I'm an indie author because I had no other choice. After a year-and-a-half of sitting on the fence while multiple agents decided what to do about my book, I decided to take matters into my own hands. At first, I hoped that even 50 people would check out my book. When I reached 500, I thought I was dreaming. I just surpassed 6,000 copies sold, and I feel incredibly blessed.

I can now say that while I had no choice before but to publish indie, I know that I have done the right thing--likely aspiring to more success than I would have with a small publisher. As I go forth with the next two titles in my series, and as I continue to write other books, I will be publishing indie because I want to, not because I have to!
Warmly,
HH

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! I for one am glad you went indie. I am growing to believe more and more that being an indie author has more advantages than traditional publishing. Way to go Heather, you're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When can we see a sequel for Breathless??

    ReplyDelete