Sunday, February 13, 2011

Introducing Balthazar--Another Sneak Peak at Wanderlust

Hi everyone,

As promised, here's another glimpse at Wanderlust. Balthazar is one of the new characters in the next book. I've always loved the name and wanted to use it for a character for as long as I can remember. I thought better of it when Claudia Grey gave one of her main characters the same name, but as I was writing Wanderlust, I couldn't think of a name more suited for this particular character.

Sorry for the wait...

Enjoy,
HH


The alley out back was dark and dirty. The only light was that of the moon, which reflected off trash cans and puddles of sludge that oozed from dumpsters and garbage bags. I held the door slightly ajar and fidgeted nervously for a minute. It was a bad idea for me to be waiting around in alleys alone, and I thought twice about my decision to be here. Turning to head back inside, I slammed smack into what appeared to be a brick wall--if walls wore button-down plaid shirts. Slowly, I shifted my gaze upward and was greeted by a menacing glare from one of the most foreboding, yet ridiculously attractive, men I had ever laid eyes upon. I knew instantly what he was--no human could aspire to such rugged perfection--and a desperate desire to be anyplace else shot through my body. Paralyzed by an all-consuming fear, however, I was unable to move even a single step. Finally, I felt the subtle pressure of his cool hands weighted on my hips as he shifted me slightly, gently to the side. He stepped past me into the lane, closing and locking the door behind him with a brassy skeleton key. Suddenly, I was frozen--both literally and figuratively. My arms were covered in goose bumps, and I was too terrified to move a muscle.

“Name’s Balthazar, but everyone calls me Balty,” he said in a smooth baritone that would make Barry White jealous.

I stood in silence staring at the mountain of a man standing before me. He was well over six feet tall--at least 6 feet 5 inches if I were to wager a guess. And, his jet-black hair was shaggy and overgrown, curling up at the nape of his neck and brushing past his eyebrows into his eyes. A slight growth of dark hair--just a tad thicker than a five-o’clock shadow--covered his chiselled jaw. I guessed him to be in his mid-thirties, and he was utterly stunning in a rugged and unkempt way. He must get really good tips as a server--women would love him.

Like, Mina, Chaseyn’s mother, Balthazar was a full vampire. I’m not sure how I knew, but I did. The knowledge terrified me, and the throbbing of my pulse drowned out all other sound. Running would be useless. Balthazar would have the gift of extreme speed--all vampires did. Screaming was out of the question--my voice was stifled in my throat. This was it, I thought. This is how I was going to die.

6 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Oh! This is such an intriguing sneak peek :) I’m holding my breath in anticipation of what happens next! I was elated when I read your post that Wanderlust would be ready so soon.

    Also, I read somewhere that you’re working on a chick lit book as well. It’s not normally a genre that I gravitate toward, but I enjoy your writing style. Is there a time frame you have set up for the availability of that book?

    Meaghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Breathless and now the excerpt from Wanderlust--I can't wait to read the finished novel. Thank you so much for writing these stories! Its a refreshing take on the whole vampire genre--BTW, I really cried the first time Lia and Chaseyn broke up--so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious to know when Wanderlust will be available to purchase.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Meaghan, thanks so much fo enquiring about some of my other books. I have three chick lit titles in the works and two other young adult books. Because I also work full-time, it's hard for me to find the time to work on them all.

    I had started Wanderlust a long time ago, but while I was waiting on several agents to determine the fate of Breathless, I put it aside and started some other works. When I decided to self-pub Breathless, I wasn't sure what sort of reception it would receive. I didn't pick up writing Wanderlust again until January-ish when Breathless really took off. Unfortunately, that has left the other books on hold in the meantime.

    As soon as I wrap Wanderlust in the next few weeks, I will get to work on book three. After that, I'll decide if the series will continue, and if not...I'll get back to the chick lit.

    Thanks for hanging in there in the meantime. My writing style is a bit strange, so it's always great to hear from people who dig it.

    Cheers,
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TanakainMaui - There is no better compliment to an author than to learn that their writing has created genuine emotion amongst their readers. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. You brought joy to my day.

    Best,
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. @EmpressE - Wanderlust was scheduled for completion mid-month, but I am running a tiny bit behind schedule. I promie it will be out very, very soon though!

    ReplyDelete